Monday, May 12, 2008

Holding down the fort

Evening Kili

There’s little to report today, as most of the action happened at school. Check out the teaching blog (link on the right) to learn why students were asking ME for permission to go home sick.
I made it into town today to get online and had no problems with the fly-catchers. Damn. And I was all ready for them with my sitaki kununua chochotte leo (I don’t want to buy anything today). Never got a chance to use it, although I’m sure there will be ample opportunity in the future.

After an ultra-packed mini-bus ride back home, I was happy to get out of the bus and into the fresh air. People have told me to watch my wallet on these rides, but the reality is, when you’re packed in armpit to asshole, anyone would be hard pressed to wedge their hand into anywhere to get anything without you knowing. What’s amusing on these packed bus rides is that people have no qualms about holding other people’s stuff. Today, for example, I had to get on an already packed bus and had my full backpack with me. In one clean motion, the bus assistant took it from me and swung it onto the lap of a passenger who was lucky enough to be sharing the front seat of the minibus. He took it and sat with it on his lap the whole ride as if it was the most normal thing in the world. That would never happen on the TTC!Getting off the bus and heading through the bean field on my walk home, I was treated to a beautiful surprise. The sky in the north had cleared and there was Kilimanjaro, or the top half anyway, bathed in the orange glow of the setting sun. It was a rare treat, as Kili has rarely shown itself to me and never before in the late afternoon. I made sure to snap a bunch of photos before heading in for the night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home